Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reach Your Goals




Lately I feel that many people come to class, and at the end, ask the same questions, either " I have been coming to Xtreme Ninja for 2-3 weeks now, and I haven't lost weight. What is the problem, and why am I not loosing?" or " I have been coming to class for 6+ months, in the beginning I lost weight, but it's all stopeed. What's going on?"

Exercise and healthy eating are crucial to weight loss, but even if you do these sometimes the weight doesn't budge. Since weight loss is a positive reinforcement for a healthy lifestyle, it is discouraging when the weight remains. Many factors may contribute to a lack of weight loss even when you are doing the right things. Your diet and exercise efforts may not be sufficient. (I can hear sighs and see eyes rolling now)

  • Diet. Regardless of your diet, weight loss depends on consuming fewer calories than the body needs to maintain its weight.
  • Sleep. Research shows in many that sleeping less than seven hours a night results in weight gain. 
  • Exercise Intensity. Any physical activity is beneficial, but to burn calories and lose weight, exercise needs to be performed in your target heart rate range, which is calculated by subtracting your age from 220, and multiplying the difference by 65 and 85 percent. Exercising at a lower intensity is not effective at burning fat. Many of us think that it's sufficient to have an amazing just 1 or 2 days a week and expect drastic results, unfortunately that is not the case. Regular high intensity exercise needs to be regular and frequent, 4-5 times a week. Another HUGE issue is that muscles can get used to the exercise, this then requires that you spike or increase the intensity to maintain fat burn. 

Personally, I hit a plateau roughly 5 months ago. I felt that I just couldn't get past the physical struggles and challenges I had no matter what I did. After taking into account these three major points, I noticed changes within a week, and have been making steady progress since.


So in short, make wiser, healthier food choices, get a good amount of rest and push yourself when exercising.

No comments:

Post a Comment